PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2016, 22:00
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
House of Commons Debate re Regional Airports.

I've not read the full Hansard text yet Bagso but I was somewhat surprised when the MP who had got the debate, Catherine McKinnell, after mentioning her local airport, Newcastle, then very quickly started to emphasise the need to expand Heathrow.
Not surprising when you think about it: it is of vital importance for the different areas of the UK to be linked to the national hub. To be realistic, there are some countries/cities that will only ever be able to support flights to one UK airport and that airport is Heathrow.

It wasn't just my reaction as later I see that Sir Alan Hazelhurst, a great supporter of Manchester Airport, commented:

"I was a little worried that her speech was becoming slightly political. She sounded somewhat like a cheerleader for Heathrow,"
Many MPs up and down the country are supportive of Heathrow expansion.

A good illustration of this was a question from Tanya Mathias (Con. Twickenham) at prime minister's questions in January. She was seeking assurances that Heathrow expansion would be prohibited. It was accompanied by lots of groans and heckling and many MPs sat there stony-faced. There was not a single "hear hear".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO4F4uQ9k8E

Regretably ministers only listen to the vocal minority who oppose it, to the detriment of the UK as a whole.

But Sir Alan and the Wythenshawe & Sale East MP, Mike Kane, certainly did their bit for MAN and good to read that the Minister had some positive words for MAN too.

Now to scan the rest of the report!

Whether anything will come of the debate is another matter and it's a pity Davies seemed to be rather dismissive of long haul flights from the regions.
No one is dismissive, if the carriers can make money they will happen (except where there are restrictive bi-lateral agreements, in which case government negotiations have to take place (e.g. UK and China over flights to/from Ringway), and a happy Chinese new year to one and all.

Bit of a puff piece in the MEN last night.

At least Airport City may be building some momentum albeit in the press if not actually on the ground.

Have they started building on North side ?

As you know I am evangelical about Mancunia but this seems to be painfully slow ?

And also......
Yes, just like Heathrow expansion, clearly we need to get on with the developing the "Northern powerhouse".