PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2016, 12:42
golf yankee one one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trains again

Reports today of a possible new rail link to MAN from Chester/Shropshire.

That would obviously be welcome, but for Shropshire residents it will be another factor to consider when deciding whether to fly from MAN or BHX.

Although MAN has more direct destinations, for many journeys (eg by EK) there are virtually identical departure times and prices.

The journey time to the airport by train (or indeed by road) is also very similar.

How then to choose? I would suggest that the decision may often come down to how user friendly the airport feels.

My own feeling is that going from either MAN or BHX with a change at an efficient modern hub is infinitely preferable to battling with all the uncertainties that flying from LHR involves.

Between MAN and BHX I am influenced by
- the transfer from the station to the terminal (BHX slightly better)
- how crowded are check in and departure lounges (MAN varies with terminal but can be depressing, BHX OK)
- wifi access (appalling and disgraceful at BHX which is shamed by most 3rd world airports)
- delays at immigration (unpredictable and no clear winner)
- an inexpensive hotel room within walking distance of the terminal for 0600 departures (BHX wins hands down)

Do others share my views? - because there are many "grey areas" around the country where the choice of departure airport may be influenced by similar factors which are at least partly under the control of the airport's management.