PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XV 179 - 10 Years Ago
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2016, 22:17
R4H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XV179 funerals

I had the privilege of flying the flypast for all of the funerals bar one where two funerals clashed. Realised that lots of guys would want to attend on the day and that it would be easier for co-ord on the station and external agencies if everything went through one unit and crew I volunteered us, OEU, to sort it all out as most of us had served on SF with the guys. Support at Lye and from ATC agencies on each day was excellent.

On the downside there was a real case of sloping shoulders in the planning. Gp rules were quite specific as to min heights, Stn Cdr authorisation etc. I did ground recces of most sites and found run-ins that would work while avoiding local hospitals etc while being ideal on positioning. Drew up maps, briefing points and notes on each run-in and submitted them to Wg Cdr Ops for Stn Cdr approval. Wg Cdr didn't do anything with it all but eventually told me that I should auth all sorties simply as a training sortie that happened to be in the area at the time! Basically any crap hitting the proverbial fan would stop with me. I duly authed each trip as being iaw all maps and briefings submitted to Wg Cdr Ops.