PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ansett and East West
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2016, 09:12
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi CLX

The F28 - originally EW78 and subsequently EW74 blocked HBA DPO SYD OOL CNS. The service was daily.

The return did the same route.

Usually the aeroplane SYD back to DPO was ex Norfolk which meant if it was running late or couldn't be retrieved from International in a timely manner due to traffic that we would cop it wit 1ABC replaced by the overwater liferafts and as such have to pray for noshos the next morning because of the lost seats.

I see Oggie at least twice a week and have a yarn with him. He is flourishing and has retired after a stint as a bar steward on the Spirit of Tasmania. Quite often brings up the FSU days for himself and the EW days for me. Absolute gem of a bloke.

As for my ground crew, they were the best. Most came would you believe from the Bearings Department at Webster Limited who as a Travel Agency operator in Burnie gained the ground handling contract - God knows how!! After TN announced the pullout I put in for the Sales Manager Tasmania position but my mate Rod Elliot got the gig and I was offered Airports Manager for DPO and WNY. Bloody grabbed it! Just built a house - it was a no brainer as the Airline I grew up with had just knifed me in the back. "Da Wally" who was TN state manager at the time who lied through his teeth while drinking our beer is still hated by all of us for his deception.

The way I went about a turnaround was "hit it hard, back up your mate, be gentle with peoples thins and this aeroplane needs to be somewhere else.

These dudes who had been selling bearings just lapped up the challenge and within a month they were killing it.

This is where it has gone wrong today. I was a "young old head" and the Airline was my core. I took the time to train them, and they were enthusiastic to absorb as I had learned from those before me. It's not that bloody hard.

I believe we still hold a World record for an F28 turnaround with Bill Friend in the left seat. End of the pilot's Dispute, round robin SYD DPO HBA SYD and pushing curfew. 55 off, 49 on with bags and inbound freight.The passengers were worded up that they could be stuck if they dawdled and the last off passed the first on just short of the steps.

Seven minutes 30 seconds wheels stop to wheels roll. Ops didn't believe it until they got the in time to HBA. Unloading/reloading lockers 5 and 6 with number 2 still turning above you isn't pleasant but you do what you have to do - and it was all BLOODY GOOD FUN!!!!

THAT was how a port should be run and I was very proud of my crew.

You don't have to beat eager well treated and well trained crew into submission.

One just has to turn them into Airline people, make it a contest against the other mob and go for it.

Best all

EWL