PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2016, 21:23
TrapperJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone recall late 60s bomb hoax on Monarch Britannia at Luton?

As a lad who grew up in Luton in the late 60s, I used to love trips to the airport, and have really enjoyed browsing this thread over the last few days. I can remember the Autair Ambassadors, but don't remember seeing any Connies. We moved to Bedford in 1970, but still visited the airport every now and then (whenever I could persuade my Dad to drive us there). I loved the old visitors area with the (now demolished) cafe, watching the planes come past the low fence. I remember the colourful Court Line jets, the Autair 1-11s, Bristol Britannias from Monarch and Britannia, and later from Geminair and Redcoat and Katale. I remember the decrepit old AeroAmerica 707 that got scrapped, and seeing the wingless Britannia Proteus testbed. The airport seems to have a lot less character these days.

I was always fascinated by planes, and used to collect paper cuttings from the Luton Echo (or was it the Post?). I remember a cutting showing a KLM DC-8-63 visiting Luton carrying Ajax fans for a match with Arsenal. I also remember a photo of a Monarch Britannia when somebody had made a (hoax) bomb threat, with a headline something like "Airport waits as bomb search goes on...". That would probably have been 1969 or 1970 - I'd be fascinated to know if anyone recalls that incident in any detail?