PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dad never said much about the war when he came back.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 07:55
BigDotStu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My cousin's uncle landed on D-Day +1 or +2, and only started to speak about it in the last year or two before he died. I'm not sure he really spoke much of what actually happened, but more about the fact that he would regularly have flashback nightmares that were so realistic it was as if he was back on the battlefield - to the extent that he could smell it as well as see and hear it - before waking up in a cold sweat.

My grandfather served in the RA (mostly UK based HAA followed by time in North Africa and Italy I believe), but died a few years before I was born. Dad knows nothing more of what his dad actually did in the war (mainly because he didn't talk about it), although he has recently been researching this and digging in to the available war records.

Another example of "the war you were given" - my grandfather spent a lot of his time in the UK and was able to get home, whereas Horace definitely experienced one of the more traumatic actions of the war, and it affected him deeply for the rest of his life.