PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flying N-Reg in EU with EASA PPL
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2016, 08:48
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Martin_123
I guess I found my own answer after all - http://peter2000.co.uk/aviation/misc...at-Britain.pdf

what a shame..

what's involved in getting it under EU registry? I suppose VAT, anything else? How is the VAT calculated? Let's say if I buy a plane from a friend and pay him something silly like 500eur (the rest may or may not involve brown envelopes), surely your tax office will frown upon that? are they then looking at some catalogue value or something?
VAT Shouldn't be an issue moving to an EU reg. The aircraft is either VAT paid in free circulation with proof - in which case no VAT to pay, or it is not and then VAT is due. This is a particular risk if the aircraft is based somewhere like the Channel Islands or other non-EU location.

The VAT man has enormous power to make your life a complete misery and is very alert to a range of dodges. The penalties are massive if you have intentionally avoided VAT, so not a good path.

The main cost will be ensuring the aircraft is compliant with EU regulations as there are a number of modifications and maintenance options available to N-Reg that are not necessarily directly acceptable for an EU registered aircraft. The 61.75 licence is much more straight forward than moving registration and can be done (at a higher cost) without going to the US.