PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India engineer sucked into an aircraft engine at Mumbai
Old 7th Jan 2016, 16:20
TURIN

Received 160 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
This might have already been suggested - I haven't the time right now to check the whole thread - but I had a thought today as I did my walkaround.

What is needed is some sort of semi-circular marking on the underneath and sides of the fuselage behind the nose-wheel, aft of which one should never go if the engines are running. Pushback crew would be able to clearly see the line from the front and sides of the aircraft and be told never to go further backwards towards running engines than that line.

This might improve safety but would not prevent a problem if the aircraft moved forwards before the crews were clear. I can't remember which, but I have been to an airfield where the headset person places a chock in front of the nose wheel after pushback until they are fully disconnected, and as they are walking clear, they pull the chock with them, thus preventing the aircraft running forwards until they are safe.
The old BA 737-300s used to have the fuselage red line I think.

As for the chock. Swssport at MAN do that. Not sure I like it as it has been left behind and just become a FOD nuisance. (It's also against MAN Airport's standing instructions too but no one seems bothered)