PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK MFTS Fixed Wing Flying Training : The Future
Old 6th Jan 2016, 19:44
DaveUnwin

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you liked it Phantom. Re the glass/analogue debate, personally I think it's advantageous to be training in a glass cockpit from the outset. Many of the future pilots who will train in the G120TP will only ever fly glass, and not just in their military and later civil careers. I've flown quite a few LSAs that were purely glass, not even standby analogue ASI and altimeter. Even the standby instruments on the 120 are digital!
I still think that the first ten hours should be in something really basic, like a T-61. The long wings really help develop co-ordination due to adverse yaw, while the monowheel sharpens up anyone's footwork on the ground, plus the analogue ASI and altimeter can be covered up in the circuit, and the engine even shut down in flight (both exercises are excellent confidence-builders). BUT, to put analogue instruments in a modern turbine-powered retractable would be a retrograde step, IMHO of course.

Last edited by DaveUnwin; 7th Jan 2016 at 09:49.