PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Dumbing down" RAF Officers?
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2015, 14:59
Dominator2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever is/was an 'Office Simulator'?
There you are BEagle, 5 years undergoing some form of Officer Training at CWL and UAS and no Office Simulator!

I did the 16 week course in the early 70's in Bedfordshire and being destined to be aircrew I paid scant regard to the lessons on Admin, File Systems and the like. The "Office Simulator" was, however, a good place to put some of that "admin stuff" into context.

I soon had to learn about File Systems, however, when I broke my arm at BFTS and the CI told me to re-organise the Ops Wing File system. Well, after 2 months it was re-organised, but who knows how well?

Back to the question, 16 weeks is plenty of time to train prospective aircrew in all they need to be an RAF Officer. Even the most expeditious training program would allow further development during BFTS, AFTS and TWU. More important, to get pilots to the front line quickly needs a restructure of the training system. There only needs to be 2 ac types flown prior to OCU. The secret is to have the correct aircraft, and the Tutor is NOT one of them!

If the process is to be successful the RAF needs to select those with the best aptitude to be pilots. Their potential to become CAS is of little importance at that stage. Select the best, not just the first that pass Selection to the minimum standard!