PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2015, 17:23
Milts613

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The End?

I have been sadly following these events since the "pause." An an ex-VGS instructor, I think we have seen the 'halcyon days' of Air Cadet Gliding in the 80's, 90's and 00's. The Viking and Vigilant fleets were great - I was fortunate enough to instruct over 1,000 hours on Vigilants.

When I look back at why I joined the Air Cadets as a 13 year old in 1981, it was to fly. I ended up doing everything that the ATC had to offer from shooting, DOE, band etc, but by far and away, flying and gliding were my favourite.

I fear for the ATC now. This debacle has demotivated not only instructors but also why would a cadet want to join when the scope for flying is so limited.

Personally, I think there is a wider issue. It would not surprise me if this were an overall liability issue. With crown indemnity gone I bet the legal bods have wanted to curtail "civilians" flying a: minors and b: "military airplanes. I maybe off the mark but who knows.

So sad - I made friendship on my VGS that will last a lifetime and it gave me a confidence I would have not gained.....