PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do other airlines deal with SOP/callouts on Cat I
Old 14th Dec 2015, 17:33
oicur12.again

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Radu

“will control whether you can begin/continue the approach beyond FAF/(1000' AAL). Not descending beyond MDA.”

Yes, that’s true; the NOTAM will alter the requirements of the approach ban. That’s not what I am getting at though.

“Can you honestly say that you will spot the runway in front of you at minima, and after counting the number of lights and determining you don't have the required visibility you will perform a go-around? while seeing the runway in front of you?”

Yes, in theory that’s exactly how it should happen. Simply seeing the runway in front of you at the minima does not mean a landing can be continued, unless of course you assess that the requirements of 91.175 have been met. In most cases, yes, you will have sufficient in-flight visibility to continue below the minima if you see the runway, but not always.

Is it practical to make this assessment at the minima in marginal weather? No, which is why it’s a good idea to know exactly what you should see to satisfy the requirements of paragraph 91.175 part 2 prior to commencing the approach. You should know what you will see before flying the approach: decision bar only, runway threshold, touchdown zone or farmer Joes shed halfway across the airport.

In marginal weather, it is practical to assume that paragraph 2 will be satisfied by sighting the approach lighting system, as alluded to by A squared.

AOPA published a fine article about it with a point pertinent to this discussion:

“…..you can determine how many additional light bars beyond the decision bar you need to meet the minimum flight visibility requirements.”

Lets make it simple:

You fly the approach a CAT I ILS where a NOTAM is in force increasing the min viz to 4000 (1200m), as was the case recently at a previous carriers destination. You reach the MDA and can see the approach lights and the decision bar and several rows beyond that. But you cannot see the runway threshold lights.

Do you land?