PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Southern wannabes
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2015, 15:23
Biggusdickuss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a lot of bull in this thread.. I am currently doing this job and I can assure all of you it's by far the best I've had. The flying is very easygoing and the Chinese caac rules concerning rest and 4 pilots for all international flights is beautiful, just ask any ex sand pit driver. Typical flights involve doing only about 5 hours at the wheel and the rest in the bunk, also I do around 2 landings a month. Now for those of you who want to rest less, get paid less, land and take off more then I'm sure there's a job out there for you.

As regards the recurring question about who the captain is.. First off anyone who has never flown long haul will immediately not understand how long haul works. So I'm not even going to attempt to explain that. Secondly, in china the copilots do all paper work and they will be signing your name as PIC for exactly half of all time flown. When you are in the seat you take off and land but as part of a four pilot crew and being a junior employee you can expect it will be a while before you are the 'leader' PIC. As in the guy who decides who sleeps when, and that's the way it should be. Other airlines do away with seniority and respect and look where that's gotten them, again if that's what you want there's a job out there for you, here you have to build that respect over a number of years. But you are still a fully type rated and certified capt and easa will issue you with a easa license once you provide your sim check and caac license details.

As regards the basing, the euro crews asked for a euro base and they were given it. The Chinese have shown a willingness to negotiate everything, unlike some employers I can think of. That said Vancouver and Auckland fell through but there may yet be movement there. If you are Guangzhou based you can work 20-10 or 18-12 if you count leave.

Money is 200 dollars a day induction (first two weeks)
12k a month thereafter for 6 months (3 months if type rated)
After that 18k (rsp) 18830 (CAN base)
Year 2 19k/19830
Year 3 20k/20830
Year 4 21k/21830.
6k every January providing you have no screw ups...

Agents: firstly all agencies get the same amount of seats from Csa. What that means is that if there are 100 seats and 10 agencies all agencies get ten seats. So if one agency tells you there's a waiting list, try a different one, it may be that they simply have too many names, no one gets preferential treatment. Am quite happy with my agent as they have a tendency to show up every now and then in China rather than hide in an office but I won't do their advertising for them as that's not appropriate here. Do your homework.. Remember in China they don't care if an agency is big or small, it's all about relationship here. If you want clear terms and conditions then don't come here. China is not Europe. I'll give them one thing though, they don't mess about with money, they pay in full and on time every time.

Lastly guys is the main point I want to make. Don't come to China expecting all your problems to be solved. This job suits some and not others, and is definitely not for the faint hearted. The sims are very tough and so are the medicals. I read about guys in earlier threads failing because they ran out of time, yes you will fail for this because you're too slow, they don't want you flying in circles and talking sh@t for 45 mins with a failed engine. They want a downwind circuit and landing and all checklists read in that time hand flown mostly. And they're right. They want steep turns, stalls, crosswind circuits single engine at 40kt with map mode off. Also your time here is all about your relationship with the company, contracts mean little in China, so don't expect waving it about to work. Blend in, enjoy the cash, the nightlife (😀&#128512 the rest (😀&#128512 etc. Do your homework, get advice from friends, and welcome aboard if you decide to come over.