PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2015, 22:27
True Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A point that seems to be very conveniently overlooked on here, why do airlines want to transfer from Lgw to Lhr. It is due to the fact that yields are higher at Lhr. Why is that? Because Lhr has a virtual monopoly on long haul and business travel from the UK, never mind London. Slots etc scarce, and that scarcity is used to drive up prices/yields. A few months back, this point was made by another poster either on this thread or the thread that ran about the commission report. And let us not forget that Lhr, the airlines and all the other companies involved with the Lhr project have a major vested interest to ensure Lgw never gets a look in so that the high fares situation can continue. Why should we help them all succeed in that aim? And why are so many on here prepared to accept all these projections about economic benefits when the truth is, they have no idea. Who knows what 5 years will bring in terms of growth etc never mind projecting 30 years out in the multiple billions. It is complete pie in the sky stuff that a lot of people with very vested interests are determined to see through. We, the tax payer will be asked to pay, and years down the road, we will learn that we were sold a complete pup. I hope government sees sense, denies Lhr their ambition to seal their dominant position and give the decision to Lgw. Then we will see some real competition. And not for one minute do I accept that an airline, faced with going to Lgw or not starting/expanding in London, will walk away because they can't get Lhr. Lhr is the big attraction due to the fact their almost monopoly position enables airlines and Lhr to charge us all more, no other reason. Wake up to the darker side of capitalism! And I am a capitalist believer, but sometimes it is not good for the consumer.