PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 9th Dec 2015, 08:42
Capn Bloggs

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Clandestino
You can't prevent it by fitting connected controls; there are far more cases of conventional controls aeroplanes being pulled into stall or spiral dive till impact than FBW Airbi and having interconnected yokes did not help at all.
Arr, the Clande has appeared at last. How about detailing the "far more cases" for us, you know, where the pilots were opposing each other like they were here...

As for "You can't... you can't... you can't..."

Yes you can, Clande: the aeroplane crashed because the crew couldn't hand-fly (got it into a stall) and second couldn't recover (I simply do not believe you that the captain, an ex fighter jock, would not have been able to recover had he been able to override a control column [if fitted]). The sidestick positions tell the story; they were opposing each other all the way down. Even blind Freddy can spot the message there. I wonder how many times had the captain pushed the priority button for 40 seconds in anger?

I've done plenty of sims, and done some semi-weird stuff in them, including severe windshear/wake encounters where the thing ended up on it's back. They don't have to be perfectly representative of a fully stalled wing-walking aircraft completely out of the flight envelope; we could go a long way to fixing this "we can't handfly" issue by just expanding (or perhaps starting?) what we do already. Chuck it around, pull it through to the stall, flick it, try a loop or two, get yourself "out of control" and try to recover. Do a whole (shortened) session with the FD off. All this can be done now, without massive explorations to expand flight envelopes or to reprogram sims.

And I do not agree that we need to all start flying Aerobats to keep our hand in. You train the way you fight, and maintaining stick and rudder skills is easily doable in our current sims; there just has to be the will from the regulators to force it on the bean counters that are in charge of the operation these days...