PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Route To An EASA fATPL---Opinions and Answers Much Appreciated
Old 9th Dec 2015, 03:32
CMY.BRYAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Route To An EASA fATPL---Opinions and Answers Much Appreciated

Dear fellow Aviators,

I'm from Singapore, 30 yo this year and have recently acquired my FAA CPL SEP/MEP IRA. I also hold an FAA Class 1 Medical.

With not much jobs in this country for N-registered license holders, my next step would be to convert to an EASA CPL with fATPL.

Essentially from what I understand, I bascially need to:

1) Get a EASA Class 1 medical ( UK)
2) Start Studying and Pass ALL 14 ATPL exams
3) Undertake a CPL Skills Test
4) Undertake the ME and IR skills test

My concerns lie mainly with the first 2 steps:

Getting an EASA Class 1 medical

I did a general eye check at my optician yesterday. Results as follows:

Left Eye: -4.0 dioptres myopia, -1.75 astigmatism
Right Eye:-6.0 dioptres myopia. -1.25 astigmatism

Both eyes' axis is 180 degrees and VA is 6/6 for both eyes as well.

As per the CAA's eyesight standards, I meet the requirements for the left eye, but the right eye is right on the dot at -6.0 dioptres.

I am in general good health condition having just completed the FAA Class 1 medical examination 2 days ago

But which medical facility would be much recommended for the initial? NATS Aero in Swanwick Hampshire OR Dr David Tallent Brookdale Medical Centre (Gatwick)?

OR would there be any other pragmatic/practical AMEs that any of you can recommend to do my initial? I am essentially looking for an AME who's not a hard-ass if you understand what I mean. Of course this doesnt mean I should be given any leeway if I obviously do not meet standards by a super huge margin.

I would need to know prior to making any travel arrangements that I should ideally be able to secure the EASA Class 1 medical without much fuss and drama as this is the most economical savvy thing to do.

The 14 ATPL Exams

Essentially, I will be going with Bristol GS. which means 3 trips to the UK for the classroom revision courses prior to the exams.

Considering I am an ICAO CPL holder already, I understand that there is some groundschool hours exemption? However I cant find much info on how many hours do i still require of groundschool. Anyone can help with those numbers?

Regards
Bryan