PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA wants to know everything about you.. and they will.
Old 8th Dec 2015, 22:55
outnabout

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I am not sure about metadata, data storage and surveillance, and CASA's use of all of this. (They want to know that I spend my own time watching Youtube cats or live streaming C&W radio from America? Their lives are sadder than my pay packet.)

However, I do remember reading an accident report from the States, where the cause of the RPT flight accident was due to pilot fatigue. Part of the evidence presented was the co-pilots use of mobile phone to search social media sites and to text, during the allotted rest period. I also seem to remember that when an Aerocommander went in off Horn Island in 2011, mobile phone records and bank transaction records were used to track his activity the night prior to the accident. No sleep records were listed in the ATSB report, which showed no conclusions but speculated that fatigue was an issue.

I was only wondering a few days ago - with the rise in individuals wearing Fitbits, which record movement and sleep debt, how long before we see the information recorded on one of these devices presented in a coroner's court. Your Honour, the device records show that at the time of the accident the accused was six hours sleep deprived, and no significant movement was recorded in the four hours prior to the accident, indicating that the accused did not take advantage of the mandated rest break every two hours........in my opinion, this is not just aviation, but also applies to truckies, and (I think) will shortly include Joe Bloggs, driving over Xmas holidays....