PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Answer yes or no to the RAF bombing Syria this coming week.
Old 4th Dec 2015, 05:37
AtomKraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I admit that Benn did well (especially for himself) with his speech- and he made a decent job of presenting the case 'for' bombing. So, hats off to him.

However. His speech, and our bombing, amounts to little more than willy-waving. It's what we do best these days.

We refuse to come face to face with problems in the ME which stem entirely from ill judged foreign policy on the part of the U.K. and our allies.

Like....
The unholy alliance between the UK, the USA and Saudi Arabia.
The equally poisoned one twixt the US and Israel
Our unfortunate support for the US in GW2.
And so on.

We have destabilised the region massively, mainly by removing from power those we didn't fancy (although at one point, we fancied them rather a lot...).

I reckon the former leader of Iraq would have had a fair idea how to deal with IS, and sorting them out would have taken him a long weekend- admittedly with heads and legs flying in all directions.

We don't understand the ME. Our attempts fo fcuk with the place, have historically only made things worse.

The peoples of the ME have been cutting each other's balls off since the first knife arrived in the region- we should leave them to it.

This bombing will achieve a little in the short term, but FA will be the nett effect.