PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2015, 20:22
Auster Fan

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Arclite01
Bobward,austerfan and brokenlink

As an ex611 VGS Instructor I concur. The loss was huge - the question for me was why was Watton closed ?

STANTA still needs an airfield - now they have to use Sculthorpe (miles away) if they are doing any form of airdrops ( not realistic unless you are re-enacting Arnhem with the distances tripled ) and Mildenhall lost their nearest strip for off field strip training. More importantly to me and the ACO was the loss of a great airfield for winch launching and we had just spent a fortune building a hangar and facilities and it was Central for a lot of people travelling (an issue in East anglia)

Another mad decision, all users inconvenienced - another victory for the bean counters !!

Arc

P.S. I flew over it the other day - floor to ceiling straw bales on that lovely 6000' runway.

P.P.S. - why not a return to Swanton Morley ??
I'm sure we must know each other then...

I believe Swanton isn't usable now. I haven't flown over it recently but I'm led to believe that the grunts planted trees on the airfield and that both the J Hangar and sports hangar have been demolished. Shocking waste of one of the largest grass airfields in Northern Europe...