PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Lady Who Flew Africa
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2015, 11:31
mand26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Race2Darwin

The Race2Darwin is on......starting very soon from Duxford, the dream is about to begin!

Amanda's dream is to retrace the route that Amy Johnson flew solo in 1930. It was the first time a female pilot flew from London to Sydney solo, and it hasn’t been done since.

She also wants to do it ‘the right way’! She says: The only ‘sacrifice’ I’ve decided I have to accept (not without clear advantages as well of course) is bringing a simple aviation handheld GPS for the airspace. There are no VFR charts for 90% of the route, and I have no desire to cause ATC headaches as I fumble around blind. The aircraft is a De Havilland Tiger Moth (sadly the Gipsy was too expensive!). The dream is to complete the route in the same 19 days as Amy did.

Apart from that though, I want to do it in the truest way possible (including using local help for mechanicals, ground transport, accommodation etc. etc.). Not to mention carrying my luggage (current allowance on my last W&B is 5kgs, um, yeah!). Fuel or knickers, it’s an issue…

See the route here:

Captain Amanda J Harrison | Race2Darwin| Tigermoth