PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 6 seater a/c crash Somerset
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 19:37
Chronus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pace
GWYN

I cannot disagree with what you are saying. There are those who choose to fly and those who have to fly!
There have been many occasions in the past when I have turned up at airfields at 0500 mid winter, usually in the dark and often in pouring rain or worse and back then in piston twins
You have a plan as well as alternatives and go in most cases.
But in that learning experience I can think of occasions I am not proud of and luck played a part but that is looking back I survived so far. Now I hope I am older and wiser.

Very different to the PPL who flies for pleasure using their hard earned cash. Open the curtains to a **** looking day and close them again and do something else in the day but that is not the situation for all.
So some is having to fly! I don't mean that in quite the way I had put it as no one HAS to do anything so maybe pressured to fly is a better word.

Pressured to fly can refer to the PPL too. The guy who chooses to use his aircraft for business and doesn't want to leave potential clients sitting at an airport because he cannot make it.Ego comes into it big time

Pressured to fly can also be an internal thing! the challenge? I have failed if I don't get there brigade. Etc
A lot of successful businessmen are driven people in business and sometimes that kicks into aviation in the wrong or dangerous way?

So pressured to fly can be external or internal of the mind
So it still comes down to knowing your limits and respecting your limits as well as the aircraft limits. some pilots have much higher limits due to mainly currency and experience others don't know their limits and pressure themselves out of those limits

Do we actually know the pilots qualifications ?

Pace
No Pace, we don`t know his qualifications n`or his experience. The PPL assumption has been generated from the media reports which referred to him as an amateur pilot. We have therefore just taken the lead from that.

I do remember the Graham Hill accident, it had left an indelible mark on all at that time. That such a capable person, a champion driver came to meet his end behind the control wheel of an aircraft and not the steering wheel of a F1 race car.

Here is the link to the then AAIB report.

https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...976_N6645Y.pdf

He held a UK PPL, with NR and IMC,and an FAA IR.

For me the whole matter is simple, ask anyone what their job is. What should the PPL holders` reply be. You are right ego plays a big part when it comes to giving the answer.