PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 6 seater a/c crash Somerset
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2015, 08:37
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MM

When I was training for my MEP must have been 25 years plus ago so don't know what the regs were like then.

Take off minima are very low you can takeoff in fog or into a very low cloud base and it is not the responsibility of ATC to know your qualifications or abilities.

Normally if the weather is unfit for flight! Operations from the airport are delayed!
Going out of Dublin I can remember about 20 jets in front being held as a bad storm crossed the field with multiple lightning strikes, even refuelling was temporarily stopped.

Obviously in CAS you cannot takeoff without a take off clearance and to do so would be an infringement but to withhold that clearance based on a doubt on the ability or qualifications of the pilot??
A pilot could request an IFR clearance and would be given it as its not ATCs responsibility to know if the pilot is qualified to take it.

In my MEP days we had about a 94% mission success rated to weather fog at destination being the main show stopper other weather usually not although a diversion and road trip was sometimes needed

It is also difficult for one PPL to determine what is safe for flight or not safe for flight as what maybe deemed as unsafe by one pilot maybe routine conditions and safe for another, so we are probably talking about extreme weather conditions where ATC will intervene

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 20th Nov 2015 at 08:59.