PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 6 seater a/c crash Somerset
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2015, 16:49
Chronus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awkward, this part of the quote you have copied was not mine

"Originally Posted by runway30 View Post
Pilot wasn't shy in announcing on social media obtaining his PPL and his new aeroplane. No mention of an IMC rating or I/R. Many instances of VFR pilots getting into difficulties in IMC in this aeroplane."

The following part was mine

"This was an N reg. If my memory serves me right, many years ago, an FAA PPL was required and when these hot ships first came out an IR was thrown in for good measure for the buyer. Then some bits and pieces started falling out of the sky and some new rules and training requirements were introduced. To get me out of trouble IMC rating, not recognised on the Continent, was hotly debated for many years and remained with a don`t try this yourselves at home warning. PPL`s with FAA IR`s could only opt for IFR after crossing the foreign FIR`s and the same for the return. They could not exercise the privileges of their FAA IR `s in UK controlled airspace in UK reg aircraft.
Without a valid IR, when an IFR routing is a must, it cannot be planned. By definition therefore it becomes a VFR plan. I don`t know the wx conditions on the day for the whole of the planned/intended routing, but if vis and cloud base were not present to conduct the flight under VFR then mechanical malfunction or not risk was significantly increased and flight safety margins were reduced if not compromised."

I have always wondered as to why the FAA PPL/IR and a N reg is such an attractive proposition for private flying in the UK and the near Continent. Given that costs would not be expected to be of any significant consequence to a businessman who can afford to buy a sophisticated aircraft and will use it over this side of the pond, and as they say "in anger", why not go for a UK IR. Would it not be better. It is not just the ticket that matters, it is after all just another piece of paper? What really matters is the rigorous training,the tough exams and tests and the knowledge gained, the appreciation and the respect for the inherent risks to flight, that gives a good understanding and ability to plan and make that all too important decision to embark on a flight on a given day. In so many words Pace has said it all, it takes a lot more than success in business to also succeed in flying. It is difficult to devote the required amount of time in the correct measures to be successful at both at all times. I have known busy businessmen who employ chauffeurs for their cars not because they want to advertise their big success, but because they admit that it is safer for them and all who travel with them. It is so difficult to serve two masters. Best to choose one and stick with him through thick and thin I`d say.