PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Metrojet crash Eygpt
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2015, 13:53
Iceheart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The modern mobile phone has a barometer, GPS, accelerometers, microphones, timer, radio links, a huge amount of computing power, and a massive support ecosystem of development tools and optional hardware. It's also an everyday item and possession is entirely unremarkable. You can develop the software anywhere in the world and deploy it anywhere else on demand.

You couldn't hope for a better platform to design an efficient and flexible bomb trigger mechanism, all for a couple of hundred dollars and accessible to people with hobbyist-level skills.
At the same time, modern phone lacks any suitable interface to actually wire it up to the detonator, and the creative modifications required to do it are not exactly hobbyist-level; more so, the modified phone will no longer be "entirely unremarkable" - unless one manages to conceal the entire explosive device within the phone's casing. I defer to demolition experts on whether it is doable.

I agree that It is a possibility, but from an pure engineering standpoint of view, my humble opinion is that using a smartphone as a detonation trigger seems to be too complicated and potentially unreliable way, while, obviously, there are much simpler ways to achieve the same effect, like the $1 wristwatch that you have mentioned.