PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DONCASTER SHEFFIELD
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2015, 15:17
cumbrianboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you can compare DSA and BOH, totally different things. BOH is a short drive away from one of their biggest bases, and in an area with little business traffic and seasonal demand. My take on BOH is, they started STN and BOH at the same time and both seemed to be an 'interesting' development. The Manchester Airport group is the common factor and MAN is a massive base for flyBe, maybe the reason for STN and BOH was to get a deal at MAN, and MAG said you have to try the others for us, they did, it didn't work, BE get what they want and just had to experiment with BOH and STN probably at marginal cost.

As for DSA, Sheffield City Region is a big, untapped market. Only served by airports that are 70-90+ mins away by congested motorway or precarious cross pennine routes. DSA is a well equipped airport, with a brand new link road opening, and a large population with no competition. FlyBE get first mover advantage and find a profitable use for the aircraft. To me, I think it has significant legs and would hope it will grow ..

But that's just my opinion ...