PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2015, 09:36
Spooky 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem probably my writing without the brain fully engaged. It happens like that once and awhile.

My point was the crew did a perfect RTO then moved down to the ECL and did the engine fire shutdown at which time the "engine fire" was extinguished. They were in the process of starting the APU when the Commander asked the 3rd pilot to check on the cabin, which he did. To his surprise the there was fire outside the cabin so he returned to the flight decked and advised the two pilots that they had a serious fire condition. Then they ordered an evacuation....

As stated before the fire was from line fuel that had spilled on the ground when the 2 inch fuel line from the firewall to the engine was severed. Approximately 40+ gallons spilled on he ground and was ignited. There was another 80 gallons still in the pipe. The engine fire was out, but the fuel fire was the problem now. Being that the crew could not see this from the flight deck and as far as they were concerned their fire problem was over I think they acted like any of would have given the same circumstances up to that point. The evacuation may be a different story.