PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P2 In a SEP
Thread: P2 In a SEP
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2015, 12:58
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Step Turn;

Here in EASA land it goes a bit like this. (the following is what I had to look at for privately operating single pilot IFR helicopters with two pilots. Although the pilots are paid and have all the fringe benefits, and hold ATPL/CPL IR, the flights are private for the owners, and could in fact, if a sutably qualified PPL was available be flown by a PPL)

1.The aircraft are certified SP/IFR therefore there is no requirement for a P2, therefore the bod in the P2 seat can't log the hours.

2. To operate properly 2 crew, both pilots must have passed a multi crew LPC on type and be MCC qualified. The crew must have procedures in place to operate 2 crew.

3. As the aircraft are certified SP/IFR there are no such procedures available, ergo the only way they can be done is to write them and submit them to the authority.

Doubtless others know more than me, but that has been my experience, and writing the procedures and getting them accepted took quite a while. I've heard all sorts of schemes in flying club bars, including one bloke who was claiming two crew time in a PA28 for his currency, until he was shown the insurance small print which mentioned something about PIC/P2 hours......

SND