PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcans farewell flights this weekend, route is on line.
Old 11th Oct 2015, 16:47
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NDW
At least you knew you wouldn't be getting a flypast.

I on the other hand expected to see XH558 twice today. I was reassured by looking at and studying the flight plan this morning from the Vulcan to the sky team. Once in my 'plane spotter' spot near the second Severn bridge I settled down for the 45 minutes until the aircraft arrived, and all the time was following the flight route on the official Twitter.

In the end I didn't get to really see the aircraft as it decided to orbit the northern part of Bristol and then instead of following the published flight path up the Severn estuary and flying over the second Severn bridge it turned left and the only view was at least 3.5-4 miles away. It's a fair comment to say that the several hundred spotters near me were very unimpressed. Many of these people had donated their £5 just for today's flight only to be told the aircraft was now going to Cardiff.......a town not on today's flight route.

Following the Twitter account it seemed that lots of people were voicing their opinions (far worse than could be put online were other comments in my earshot). The official Twitter account then said that the aircraft was coming back to the Severn Bridges. There were signs of relief, which soon changed to anger again when the aircraft was spotted around a mile to the north of the bridge and only visible for four to five seconds.

I wonder how many of the 300-400 pekoe around me thought that they had paid £5 to help to see a point point accurate Cold War bomber, and not the Severn estuary with the tide out.