PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ CAA prosecuting 'rescue' pilot
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2015, 07:20
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
QDM - I did specify that femoral bleeding was the main thing that would make a broken femur life-threatening.

I don't dispute that the guy need rescuing from the hillside - note that he was eventually walked out not helicoptered out which took a long time even though he had received medical attention.

The question is, was the extremely high level of risk involved in getting the doctor there in difficult conditions with an inexperienced PICUS justified?

It is easy to be wise after the event because the outcome was successful - so the next time it happens (as it surely will) is it right to risk several lives (especially if you don't know if the casualty has a life-threatening condition) just to get medical aid to one person?

I and many of my colleagues have done exactly that when we KNOW that life is slipping away and the ONLY way to save that life is to put ours at risk (mitigated as much as possible by lots of training and a well-proven SAR helicopter).

SuperF - the difference between your 'experienced' local pilot and your 'less experienced' SAR pilot is TRAINING not just numbers of hours - that is why one flys tourists and the other is a professional SAR pilot.