PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Chipmunks
Thread: RAF Chipmunks
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2015, 14:02
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smudge, 26er, ATR43 and Longer Ron ... Gentlemen ...

I thought it might be a good 'Kick Off' point with a bit of history on 6 AEF. This isn't a definitive chronology ... more info I have pulled together from various sources. If we can add to it ... so much the better

6 AEF was formed at RAF White Waltham in July 1958 where it was co-located with the then HQ Air Cadets. At the time I believe First Line Servicing was the responsibility of Short Bros.

The Flight moved to RAF Abingdon in September 1973 where it was co-located with the University of London Air Squadron (ULAS) and Oxford University Air Squadron (OUAS). First Line Servicing was then undertaken by RAF personnel.

As mentioned by ATR43, 6 AEF trained students who were accepted for the Cadet Air Navigation Training Scheme.

I believe that 6 AEF was responsible for the production of the Air Cadet briefing film 'Air Experience Flying'. This was the second of two films produced for Chipmunk AEF briefing (aka Jump, Jump, John). The first of the Chipmunk briefing films had become somewhat dated (obsolete) by the mid 70's and was originally shot at White Waltham. This original film featured the old Four Point seat harness and Wire Frame headsets and dangly ox mask Mics (with the giant WWII non NATO plug) for the cadets.

I also believe 6 AEF played a role in the BBC TV production 'Squadron' ... now there's got to be more stories to add here ?

6 AEF Flight Commanders - The Chipmunk Era

1958 - 60 F/L D R Baxter
1960 - 63 F/L R Hudson
1963 - 66 F/L B Milroy
1966 - 69 F/L M Huckins
1969 - 73 S/L F Urquart
1973 - 76 S/L K S Knott
1976 - 77 S/L W J McL Wilson
1977 - ?? S/L D F Gardner

Please feel free to correct any errors I may have made and/or add to the history

It would be good to record any notable WWII Pilots that may have served with 6 AEF in the early days.

To come right up to date ... 6 AEF now operates the Tutor out of RAF Benson ... For those interested there is a Twitter Feed

https://twitter.com/OC6AEF

Also a Wikipedia page ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._...nce_Flight_RAF

Best ...

Coff.

More follows ...

Last edited by CoffmanStarter; 6th Oct 2015 at 10:56.