PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Latest on Korean Air
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2015, 07:14
Zuperpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
INSIDER POINT OF VIEW

Hello Guys
i will try to give my personal point of view about the commuting contract in kal and sticking as much possible as i can with fact and not else.
well as everybody knows being expat around the world necesseraly means family to relocate with you .
most of the time places where we go are not exactly ideal but ....is what it is ..
so here we are with COMMUTING option best benefit :
relocate family at home ! and this has no price !!
initially will be great but then depends how you and your family miss each other during the away family period .
its strictly personal and like expat 400 said its not for everybody.
but ...after 4 years of commuting with kal i can advise you on how mitigate the AWAY factor :
1) the 11 days off plus 3 travel is not necessarely 1 block ...
you can split for example in 2 blocks ...7 + 7
now the only problem is because u have only 2 confirmed seat per month . u will use on the 2 way back so no problem with company and use zed going home ....most of people that leave not far then 6 hours flight is doing that...u can do it even if u live in usa or europe but because tiring uin this case u will use only to REALIGN your off days period ( i will explain later)
so splitting in two blocks give u the possibility to reduce period away from home between blocks ( only 8 days working days )
2) because i live europe doing this for me is too tiring so to reduce my AWAY block i operate as follow :i work not more then 13/14 days between days off blocks so i do not stay away from family more than 2 weeks ..
now the only fact is that every 3/ 4 months ( because i work on a 28 days cycle ) i have to REALIGN my blocks using the 7+7 option .
but it works and family is happy
3 ) now kal allow us to depart same day we finish duty so we gained 1 more days off because they consider the next day as travelling day ( so we gained 12 days on annual base )
sometimes is tiring doing this sometimes not ...it depends at what time you land ending duty but no matter what kal provide u hotel even for 3 hours waiting your flight (ex land from dps at 730 am departing to madrid same day at 1240 ..htl in icn 4hours use no problem)
5) by contract we should not request more days off we are entitled but ...but if u do no problem ..at the end of the year they do ballance and if u have a negative one ( days to return to them ) u have option to pay to zero your balance ( cpt around 350$ fo 250$ ),normally i take 10 days more every year on top of the scheduled one and pay off at the end of the year

so to make the story short i created a 50/50 commuting contract and worked for 4 years (ex 12 days off + 3 travel = 15 days block actual days on my barbeque 13.8 days ....and 14 days work days block )

now hope this can help u make your math ...now does not work for everybody but yes work 4 me
"happy wife happy life "
my 2 cents