PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2015, 00:34
alexb757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of more points. The aircraft was being washed (and not just the area around the smoke/fire damage, but above and aft of the wings along the fuselage).

The engine was removed and taken to GE some time ago, I'm guessing around 2 weeks ago. Since then, a bunch of both BA and Boeing engieers have been looking over the aircraft where it is currently parked.

BA requested hangar space as that is a preferable way to repair under cover. However, as Spooky has already surmised, the only hangar even capable of accommodating this size aircraft would be the Sands Corp (aka Venetian) on the far west side of the airport. Since it is privately owned, BA/Boeing would have to make a separate deal with Mr. Adelson for that! Not sure it would be a good idea to tow a heavy all that way and crossing two live runways to boot. Personally, I don't see that happening for practical reasons.

Once the final decision is made (and I think a repair will be effected), it will simply be relocated to another spot on the same cargo ramp. Weather is beginning to cool off this month (today, a balmy 32*C) and I'm sure they've worked under far worse conditions than Las Vegas in the fall!

The DOA is likely to charge some fees and the number quoted earlier on is in the ballpark. So, yes, there are other financial considerations, too.

Looking at the aircraft, it already looks cleaned up a lot and my best guess is they will start work on it within the next 2-3 weeks.