PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proof that DAS Skidmore is a new broom
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2015, 10:46
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
*&^% CASA's "philosophy". &^%$ the DAS "new broom". Period.

What "philosophy" implies is that CASA staff have even more power to interpret the regulations to suit themselves to the detriment of safety, the aviation industry and all of us!! At best it is a well meaning temporary measure.

The essence of Weberian bureaucratic regulation as practiced by a Westminster democracy is strict delineation of authorities, processes and criteria for decision making. It was created thus to stamp out nepotism, corruption and a host of other ills. The key concept is again "the reasonable man" this time acting as a bureaucrat. Needless to say, CASA pays lip service to such concepts.

What "philosophy" is doing is saying the equivalent of an FOI saying: "the regulations say I can cut off your head for taking off with a tail wind, but instead, today, because I am a good guy, I like your face, the DAS says to play nice and the sun is shining I'm only going to fine you $500.00.".

Real reform is a rule stating " the penalty for taking off downwind is $500.00".

To put that yet another way; while a tolerant common sense "philosophy" is welcomed, it can be replaced in seconds with a draconian "zero tolerance" philosophy". Reform of regulations is required.

Last edited by Sunfish; 19th Sep 2015 at 11:16.