PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 17th Sep 2015, 15:59
Alcazares48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We also inadvertently upset the Poles. We used to fly over the fantastic landscape with music blaring out over the PA, usually Ride of the Valkyries on the run in. It was some Polish anniversary so it was decided to drop a harness pack with whisky and goodies for the DZ party. The Eng had a tape of national anthems (bizarre I know)so it was decided that we would blast out the Polish on the run in, over the comms as well this time.
Unfortunately the Eng played the Russian national anthem by mistake!

QUOTE=Dougie M;9119794]Language Difficulties.
On my first Det in Ethiopia it was decided to entertain the Polish "White Eagles" squadron who were equipped with Mil-8 Hip helicopters and carried our DZ safety teams up country. These venerable aircraft would clatter away every morning, provide open sandwiches and vodka for the DZ party's lunch then chug back to Bole field before dark. Nobody admitted to speaking English but they understood O.K.
At the appointed hour the Poles arrived and launched straight away into our duty free whisky, leaving their own pot still vodka on the table. After a spell the Detco asked if anybody spoke Polish and B***n T****r said "Well I speak Russian which is pretty close" "Go for it" said the Detco.
Standing up B***n said "Pozdravieniya tovarishchi" and bedlam ensued. All the Poles leapt through windows and doors and stayed outside in the dark. "Good one" we said and so I tried plan B. Stepping out into the dark I ventured "Spricht hier jeder Deutsch?"
A gruff voice answered "Ja" "What's wrong" I said in kraut. "Your friend" came the reply "Is he KGB?"
When all was sorted the Poles had a chat and slowly filed back out of the woods. The one who answered me then said in German "Your friend can speak to us in Russian but don't you speak German again. Some of these guys have long memories"
Several bottles of rot gut later nobody was talking sense anyway.
Twoje zdrowie

[/QUOTE]