PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCs can't have much to do if they can also do Flight Watch
Old 16th Sep 2015, 10:20
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember that FLIGHTWATCH services by ATC on Area frequencies is workload permitting... you may have to wait!

The issue with the MULTICOM is that those in CASA that promulgated it as a clarification of what they "thought" the instruction was, actually brought about a change to a procedure which was not consulted with industry at the RAPACs or any other forum. The change should have been subject to a Risk Analysis or some sort of safety case - neither of which those in industry that are across this have seen or heard of. This whole mess was brought about by a few people that did not understand what was already in place and as a procedure had worked satisfactory for almost a decade. Now it is a mess and Dick is correct in that many still use the MULTICOM, regardless of the recent change in the AIP. The Area frequency is not one that should be used for such broadcasts.

Unless I've missed something, the "CASA NOTAM" expired over a year ago.
No, it expired when the relevant text was published in AIP.
the text in the AIP was changed as a result of this lack of understanding within CASA and other than some small articles has not been followed up to any degree

Who ever the tool was that directed aircraft to transmit their circuit calls on centre frequency.............I don't know what to say? Idiot, clown, imbecile doesn't do the tool justice.
the same people that said it was only a clarification

Quote:
Just about everyone ignores the CASA NOTAM stating that the area frequency should be used for non chart marked airports.
I don't. I'm too scared to, operating from a very quiet (I am the only user) unmarked strip where there is a lot of overflying traffic, none of which is on 126.7.
How do you know that?? Your primary means of traffic avoidance (in VMC) is KEEP A GOOD LOOKOUT - not to rely on hearing calls on either MULTICOM or AREA.

Remember that the gliders and croppies are often on another frequency and don't make many calls at the best of times. The gliders are more concerned about the risk of collision in thermals with other gliders so they are very rarely on area at any altitude.

The MULTICOM is recommended for use not above 3000ft agl. Much easier to have a single frequency for low level use when not near CTAFs with another frequency.

If you are near an area frequency boundary, just which one do you listen to?
Plotting such a boundary outside coverage of VTC/VNC might be 20 or 30 nm in error unless you plot it on the kitchen table first! How many do that? In the USA the area frequency boundaries are not on the charts.

When the risk analysis comes to light, it will no doubt be seen as a safety issue and the MULTICOM will prevail.
(NB: Like CTAF and NOTAM it should be written in CAPITALS...)

Last edited by triadic; 16th Sep 2015 at 10:33.