PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laying out anInstrument panel?
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2015, 20:46
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Reading 20.18, I need an "airspeed indicating system", a magnetic compass and an altimeter.

I thought maybe a Dynon pocket panel or suchlike might be a backup but that only uses GPS data for (ground) speed and altitude so I will fit the 2 1/4 inch units I have.

While the skyview is the primary display, I have a well found fear of "the blue screen of death" because its happened to me on a yacht with multiple GPS, gyro compass, fluxgate compass, autopilot etc. and it can be extremely confusing. I want to be able to switch the bugger off if necessary and revert to paper map, clockwork ASI and Altimeter, watch and magnetic compass.

I'm working in plywood now and have the throttle, mag switches, main and auxiliary fuel pumps in a row workable without releasing the grip on the throttle. Prop control switch and controller similarly accessible above.

Hand will have to come off for start and flap actuation. Right hand on stick does trim, PTT autopilot disconnect.

Will fit an avionics master.

I have plenty of "missile switch" covers but as they face "downwards" and toggle switch actuation is "up" for On they seem only really useful for emergency backup battery power and start power switches that are normally off.

The Lane A, B, and fuel pumps will have mil spec switch guards though. Somewhere I have "lift" up lever toggle switches andI might use them for lanes A and B if I can find them.

The skyview is going to sit in a 0.63" frame with four quick release fasteners on the corners. That gives me simple access to the back of the panel which would otherwise require contortions.