PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA NPA for Upset Prevention and Recovery training
Old 15th Sep 2015, 15:32
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no fear in a simulator. Nothing can simulate the actual experience being in an airplane can give you. And yes, that includes stress and fear. In a sim you can always decide to walk out. That is NEVER an option in the airplane. That is a night and day difference.

Rat5 - you said there was no relevance between a Piper Cub and an airliner. Currently there is no relevance between stalling a sim and stalling a jetliner. Aviation Week&Space Technology had several articles, to include interviews with Boeing and Airbus, on this issue. Boeing and Airbus have agreed to a generic post stall model for n/b a/c. They've said that w/b post stall behavior is different. Why a generic model? IDK. But can you imagine the internet fire storm, and marketing nightmare, if it people found out that the A or B product had worse post stall handling qualities?

Anything you'd experience in a simulator right now would be the software impression of a TRE/CKA that gives the simulator it's annual(?) fidelity check. Is that how the airplane performs? Tweak and certify. Next question - how many stalls does the TRE/CKA have in the airplane? At high altitude? See the problem? A guy with no experience is tweaking the simulator to what he thinks it will do.

A friend said that he'd done a w/b stall in the simulator at altitude and it was pretty docile. If it was pretty "docile" was does the AF 447 report show cyclic bank angle changes of up to 30-40 degrees from left to right? Company had a high altitude upset. Guy involved in the investigation asked me what bank angles I thought they experienced. I guessed 30 degrees. He said "not even close".