PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2015, 03:44
alexb757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by overstress
alexb747:

Not quite.

The evacuation checklist supercedes all others. If the crew are commencing, say, a Fire engine checklist and it becomes clear to the Capt that an evacuation is necessary, he will immediately ask for the Evacuation checklist, he will not wait for FO to finish the Fire engine checklist. The evacuation command stops all other checklists.
Yes, you could be right here. It's over 5 years since my last flight and check ride, so I'm doing this from memory. Plus, I've worked for 5 different airlines on 6 different aircraft! All slightly different SOPs.

According to my old 757 Emergency Evacuation checklist, there are several conditional statements.

After the Parking Brake is set, it states IF evac MAY be necessary, when aircraft comes to a stop, announce "Remain seated, Flight Attendants prepare".

Then,

If evac IS Necessary:

All Fire Switches.......Override & Pull
All Fire Switches(if required).....Rotate
Rotate engine fire switches in opposite directions.
Announce: " EVACUATE"
Then goes in to supplementary info.

I was not in the cockpit, nor do I have intimate knowledge of BA procedures. So, I was only making an educated guess for those that have no idea about emergency checklists.

The question is, of course, at what stage did the crew realize they had a fire and that fire was NOT out and evacuation imminent. Only the CA/FOs can answer that.

I suspect now they may have started the Engine Fire Checklist and perhaps switched to the Emergency Evacuation one early on.

Perhaps a BA 777 pilot can offer further info on this.

I also notice that a lot of engine fire/severe damage/separation (but not all) checklists assume you are in flight and have the rider "land at nearest suitable airport".

Of course, this was on the ground, fire was initially there and likely for at least a minute, it was not confirmed it was out, therefore an evacuation was the right call.

Be interested in others, still flying, take. And/or check airmen/training captains.

I'm still learning and wish to know, although my wings are now hung up. Thanks.