PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA NPA for Upset Prevention and Recovery training
Old 14th Sep 2015, 20:06
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sim stall training I've experienced is always at idle power, low level, and anticipated. I've never experienced a power ON stall at high altitude. Yet real life scenarios of stall have often been in that environment. Pitot/probe heaters off at FL 270CLB = stall: an unmonitored inadvertent auto election of V/S stalled the a/c at high FL in climb. These are real life power on stalls. Never trained in my 35 year life time.
We should include UA upset that results in a stall warning. This is what we should be training in the sim. Real life is not the time to wonder what the heck to do. That is what sims are for. IMHO sims have become mandatory or recurrent box tickers. I admit some of my operators have introduced some very worthwhile scenarios to experience as a LOFT. Excellent, but then the rest of the session was tick in the box items.
All I'm saying is IMHO the use of simulator time is often not used to its best value. Many airlines have sim time to the absolute mandatory annual minimum time. That tells me all I need to know bout the attitude of the airline training dept. It should also tell the relevant XAA the same. But, sadly, the mandatory minimum is sufficient for the XAA to sign off, and with airlines being run by profit motivated accountants that is what you are going to get.