PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The General Aviation Industry is Being Destroyed
Old 14th Sep 2015, 07:45
Eyrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NZ rules

Anyone here who thinks NZ is the answer is wrong.
I just got back from 6 days there talking to quite a few industry people and GA is in dire straits there. Small aero clubs closing, idiot rules which just make life difficult to impossible and CAA costs well into the brigandry area.
Currently NZ CAA is charging NZ$351 to register and administrate your PPL medical. They also demand blood tests etc for cholesterol, an ECG and hearing test. For a PRIVATE licence. Even if nothing is wrong with you it will cost around NZ$700 to 1000 for all this including the administration fee.
Add in that NZ CAA don't even have a class rating system but require a type rating on each type of simple bugsmasher and the instructor you do your BFR with in THAT type of aircraft also needs a type rating in that aircraft and the instructor rating is getting harder to keep and you find you have trouble finding an instructor to do the BFR with. The BFR also seems to have morphed into a flight TEST instead of a review. More expense.
This is reflected in noticeably falling prices for small light aircraft. No wonder.

I'm going to change the question to ask of the CASA people at the next safety seminar I go to from "what would your organisation be doing differently if it was actually TRYING to destroy private aviation?" to "are your regulatory changes which are destroying private aviation merely the result of advanced incompetence or are they actually malice?"

(Sufficiently advanced incompetence being indistinguishable from malice - a small rewrite of an original quote from Arthur C.Clarke - sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic))