PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2015, 18:40
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Basil
But, unless you are wearing your jacket, you will. Your CRIMINAL act could kill people.
The cabin crew have, with delegated authority from the Pilot in Command, told you that, in the event of an evacuation, you MUST take nothing with you.
Failure to comply is a breach of the Air Navigation Order and, therefore, a criminal offence.
I don't think some on here have much idea of the legal authority granted to the PiC. We don't throw it around but the CAA may choose to do so and you may go to jail.
I realize that I fly as SLF only around 4 times a week, but none of the safety briefings I have received mention bags and accoutrements during an emergency evacuation. That includes jokey right on videos and bored flight attendants reading them out. It may be that some airlines are different - BA has a cartoon video with a throw away line saying "take nothing with you" is that a legal order from a flight attendant?

These threats of drawing and quartering pax who have taken their bags - or in this case jacket - with them are like photo speed traps. They do not prevent the loss of safety they are punitive after the fact. This might provide some satisfaction for the armchair critics but it does not, and will not solve the problem.

What is needed is a standard evacuation pouch/money belt that pax should have with them at all times for emergency evacuation, to contain documents and some small items. They should be told - before any emergency arises - that apart from what they are wearing the pouch is all they are allowed to take from the aircraft in an emergency.