PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2015, 02:01
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BA SOP's :- After STOP called and being achieved, PNH might well advise TWR of intentions.
Capt continues (else resumes) as PH and when safely stopped (if circumstances & brain functions allow : stop close to a taxiway for easy access of emergency vehicles; if RWY width & surroundings appropriate, nose into side of fault if headwind; away if tailwind).
Capt calls "Identify the Failure".
FO presumably called "Engine Fire Left"; fault confirmed between both.
Capt calls for "Fire Engine Left Memory Items".
Great job to the BA crew!

Some procedural thoughts and questions for my friends at BA and other carriers.

Over the years (and the bankruptcies and mergers ) I've seen the RTO procedures, like other ground ops, done different ways at different places.

Some airlines have the FO do the reject if he or she was the pilot flying and then hand the plane over to the PIC when stopped as seems the case with BA. Others have the captain always take control immediately when the reject is announced.

At BA can any of the flight deck crew members call a rejected takeoff?

At some carriers, the fault will be called, but only the captain can decide to reject.

It seems that on many U.S. carriers the current RTO callout is 'Reject'. It used to be 'Abort' but that was deemed unsuitable for these modern times. I can see where BA's 'Stop' might be preferable to 'Reject' as being less judgmental. I used to joke about this wacko PC stuff in aviation but I don't anymore.

Years ago there were James Michener lists of memory items for things like engine fires and evacuation. At various carriers they were called bold face, boxed items or phase one memory items.

A friend at Air Canada claimed that he had to be able to recite by memory all of the QRH drills including non-normals like low oil pressure. It was back when AC still did their own charts so maybe he wasn't joking.

Is there still a long laundry list of memory items at BA?

The trend I've seen with both Boeing and Airbus procedures is to eliminate most memory items in recent years. And, in the U.S., I would say that procedures and checklists seem to be gradually standardizing more on the manufacturer's manuals than legacy company procedures from another aircraft decades ago.