PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish Airlines - THY Recruitment (Merged)
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 13:33
Kapitanleutnant

You know guys….

One man's trash can be another's treasure. That goes with bidding, rosters as well as.. Airline companies!

I can only comment on EK since I work here. I would say this to chrislikesblue: Walk a few months in our shoes and you'll completely understand why guys are bailing out left and right. And at least 4 others I know of here are either at or going to THY. Yes the money is less BUT at some point certain things become more important than the financial aspect of it.

To take it this to the extremes, you can earn a million Lira/dollars/euros a year and be mostly happy but when the company starts asking you to work 60 and 70 hours each and every week, you can only do that so long before you just break down and start making errors, and mistakes and worse, an effect on your family! I've flown with two FO's now in the past 2 months who have said to me that their kids have asked, "Daddy, why are you so tired all the time. We want to play". That is one of several reasons why EK pilots are leaving and very few qualified pilots are applying at EK. Notice the severely lowered minimums at EK now? Guess why that is???

As a suggestion, I'd offer you to have a look at and read the other threads on EK. I'd say it's mostly spot on!

So… flying 95 plus hours month after month after month is simply not sustainable to most and when we 777 guys see a roster with 9 and sometimes 10 days off in a row with a confirmed seat to/from home.. each and every month to refresh after the grueling roster of 3 "ER's" each month, a lot of EK guys are saying, "Sign me up" as it is far far superior to flying 95 hours each month until you have vacation… sometimes up to 7-8 months.

Dubai? Well, I can't really say much because it can cause issues here so I'll just say it takes on a very different persona between living here full time vs just coming for two weeks of vacation. Worth every day of the two weeks vacation I might add.

Just some food for thought….

K

Last edited by Kapitanleutnant; 3rd Sep 2015 at 13:44.