PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA NPA for Upset Prevention and Recovery training
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 12:33
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Previously, in other threads regarding loss of control, there have been many who advocated aerobatic experience in basic training. At least now there will be more than straight & level, and the QFI will have been inside out and upside down.
I note it is a requirement for ATPL. So those jockeys who have a CPL as an F/O and wish to upgrade to ATPL before their command course will now have to perform more than only a Raw Data ILS. That's going to cause a few headaches. Has anybody seen the UPRT syllabus? Must it be done in a small a/c or can it be a sim thing? If it is given at flight school in a small aerobatic a/c, and should include spins of at least incipient recovery, then that's one thing: if it is something that will be conducted in a sim it must be by definition something much more tranquil. And how many modern day young TRE's have aerobatic ratings.
Perhaps these answers are in the whole EASA document. I admit to not having read it in depth.
It does seem to be a sticking plaster on a bigger problem. "Let's teach guys to recover from a scary semi-out of control situation. Let's drum into the trained monkeys a rigid set of SOP's designed to keep them away from such scary scenarios." It's the bit in-between that is missing. How to train the guys better in handling the a/c the way it was designed to be flown, and well within design parameters, so that they don't reach the edge of their own envelope, or the a/c's, but they know where both are.
If something untoward happens that pushes them over the edge then use Up Set training techniques to recover. You should have then been aware what was going on, perhaps even a guess at why, and then not be so terrified scared about what to do about it. Now, the gap between everyday handling and an upset is so wide that I can understand guys wondering what the heck is happening and freeze; or even worse do the wrong thing. By having a better knowledge & experience of the a/c envelope, indeed any a/c envelope, you can be a true PIC and be more relaxed about recovery.
I remember one old aerobatic pilot who wondered at some real life recoveries. There was a famous one in USA B727 that rolled inverted at high level and they recovered in a very 'over stressing of the airframe' manner with still 20,000' below them. His thought was that they had effected a recovery but then might have negated it by pulling the wings off. A little far fetched, perhaps, but I can follow his thinking. The only time airline pilots are used to being near the ground is on takeoff & landing. height is everything. However, sometimes........?
Back to the main topic: IMHO UPRT should be incorporated in a total rethink of the a/c handling syllabus and not a 'sticking plaster knee jerk' add-on to an inadequate training program.