PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 17:46
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a shambles of a nightmare you describe. I was only a few years after those days, and common sense seemed to get a grip, somewhere around 1990. Grow bags to the Hotac, no loitering in the bar etc, and the same on return to Albert. I never saw anyone break the rules, by diving in to the bar in flying kit, with the exception of one C***n B****r, in Brussels, who did remove his growbag, but retained his "shoes DMS" with his civvies. I say retained because the said Captain didn't do "boots flying - aircrew for the use of" and preferred to operate his rudder through the "superior feedback" of his BATA made DMS airmen's shoes. Certainly saved on luggage space "down route" one pair of shoes does the lot !!! I deny any knowledge of being the NCO responsible for his free supply of flying shoes. I can certainly imagine the thought of "shiny" 10 having to don the growbag. If we have reached the time of "interaction" with other RAF units, I have a "wee" story of C130, navigational superiority, that might (or not) raise a chuckle. Though I doubt it's anything new to many current posters, along with a question for R4H. Next post gentlemen if I may.

Smudge