PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet another Airshow Incident
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2015, 11:52
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad and Hurt

I am sad that this happened and more hurt that some spectators attend these events, secretly hoping to witness this kind of drama. No one would ever admit that desire, be we know that it exists.
I've asked before - and I will ask again, do these air shows really benefit GA or, when a military team appears - military aviation? The only genuine fact that I know is that I Do Not Know! What I DO know is that all of the deaths and injuries resulting from air shows CAN be prevented if we so wish. Where does one draw the line and how much risk is considered acceptable? I do not know!! Like anyone, I'm thrilled to see extremes flown by a C-130 or the perky C-17, but... Are such shows worth risking 3-6+ lives? I don't think so.
Most of the world already knows what those fancy airplanes can do, if necessary. But even with a light load, that 'slight' over-bank can and will kill the entire crew. I'm not sure that flying demonstrations are worth the horrible risk.
Others may differ and I expect that. The community line is that, when flown exactly according to plan, accident's don't happen.' I believe that, but... Faults still happen, errors still happen and boys and girls still die, trying to prove themselves or their aircraft the very best. Air shows are not war events and we do not need winners. Airplanes can be replaced, but souls cannot. (Differ on that last one, then try to explain it to the pilot's wife and kids. I'll want to know exactly what was said...)
Are these flying shows really necessary?