PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mt Alice Fighter Control Radar Relocation 1984
Old 29th Aug 2015, 18:30
Shackman

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
End of Feb 83 - Started the lifts of ISO's and Portacabins off Sir Percival and up to Mt Alice - this was the first phase of building the radar station up there. Unfortunately on day 2 succeeded in 'sliding' an ISO across the deck of Percival and fracturing the high pressure water main (used for fire fighting if required). Apparently quite spectacular from other views and from my crewmen, who couldn't figure out why the load was leaking(?), but that was the end of any further lifts until they fixed it. Main memory of the task was in fact the Chinese Take Away from the Percival - they gave you a menu, ordered it on the radio and about lunch time we hovered over the rear heli deck (Op Corporate rules which allowed us to land on them had just been rescinded) and a large carrier bag was duly delivered, and we then shut down on shore and ate our carry out in absolute peace and quiet. many BZs to the RFA!

Unfortunately my photos of the incident have long gone, but I seem to remember posting about this on another thread some time ago.