PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Round the world Clipper yacht and flying
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2015, 09:54
18greens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get the impression the people that pay to do the clipper stuff know nothing about sailing. All they see is the parties on shore which is a stark contrast to 66444 shifts and helming into poor seas.

I and a few friends did a clipper fast net trip once to improve on our day skipper skills. There were 12 on board, two skippers, 5 of us day sailors ( we knew a bit), the other 5 side had no sailing experience at all and just thought it would be a nice holiday cruise to Ireland ( the trip was 5 days) . They turned up wearing peterstorm cagouls and wellies. They were sick as soon as we left harbour, couldn't do a thing on deck and spent the entire trip in their bunks. That left 6 of us to cover all of the shifts. It was good fun, very hard work. It convinced me that I would never sign up for round the world. As for solo rtw, that takes a special person

So for the dc3 thing sell it as a private classic holiday, there will be loads of takers, make sure the parties look good and carry lots of sick bags! You'll make a fortune.