PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Round the world Clipper yacht and flying
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2015, 18:47
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi I was really staggered how many boats are involved and the volume of people most with no sailing experience and the vast amount they are paying to do so.
Clipper must take £250,000 to £300,000 per leg or over £2 million per boat per round the world trip?
When you consider that the winds are free even with the other costs it must be quite an earner and big business.

I must admit I find it hard to see the appeal of that sort of sailing? Seeing NO land for weeks, all the stuff you said and living in such cramped and basic accommodation ? and having such broken sleep patterns.

As a lover of Scuba diving and underwater photography I can see the appeal of sailing the Caribbean islands , jumping from one island to another, mooring up for a few days,soaking up the sun, firing up the compressor and diving, while spending time ashore visiting all the bars and restaurants the islands have to offer.

But this is going way off track from why I introduced this comparison.I was surprised at the mix of people and ages and many did not look the type to afford such sums of money.

I am surprised that such a round the world adventure would not appeal to pilots maybe doing the trip in a Cessna Caravan turboprop and sharing the flying legs If so many sailors can cough up that sort of money our pilot fraternity cannot in aircraft?
So how come nothing comparable in aviation?

Pace