Day 8 - Barstow to Santa Monica - Part 5

Joe Davies Heritage Airpark

Curtiss C-46 Commando:

Thunderbirds F-100

Scaled Composites Triumph twin-jet - built for Beechcraft in 1988:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaled_Composites_Triumph

NASA 747 Shuttle Carrier (I didn't know this was here):

AGM-28 Hound Dog:

One last geological picture. This is a road-cut on the Antelope Valley Freeway, south of Lancaster, showing the distortions created by the horizontal motion of the San Andreas fault (which runs at right angles to the road orientation):

The San Andreas fault is about 100 m to the right (south) of this location and is not visible in the road cut, but is marked by an abrupt change in the surface elevation. The rocks on the south side of the fault have moved hundreds of kilometres northwestward, relative to the rocks in this picture.

There were no more aviation or geological stops for the remaining 60 miles of my drive and the traffic was relatively light by Los Angeles standards, considering it was the beginning of the afternoon rush hour. At the first traffic light in Santa Monica, I pulled up behind a Tesla Model S. It felt like I was entering a parallel universe, compared to the towns I had driven through in Utah and Arizona!

Last edited by India Four Two; 12th Feb 2023 at 17:37. Reason: Removed Photobucket logos. Fixed directional error.